Day 3 of EarthShift Global's Sustainability Assessment Bootcamp, October 18 - 20, Portsmouth, NH
Sustainability Integration: Getting Buy-in for Your Initiatives,
Recognizing the critical role that business skills play in helping sustainability leaders influence their organizations, we are dedicating Day 3 to the topic: “Sustainability Integration: Getting Buy-in for Your Initiatives, Creating Value.” This will be a practical, hands-on workshop designed to equip sustainability professionals with the business knowledge and tools needed to engage senior executives and create winning proposals that result in the best argument for why the company should support your efforts. In addition to providing a roadmap for integrating sustainability with the business, we will cover the most essential strategy and finance concepts that help executives connect the dots between sustainability initiatives and shareholder value. This will complement the sessions on LCA and SROI earlier in the week by helping participants apply these tools in ways that have the greatest impact.
Beginner or experienced sustainability professionals and beginner or experienced LCA practitioners who want to get managements’ support of their strategies and programs. If you have a program you are working on, work on your own project with expert guidance. If you don’t have your own strategy or program yet, there will be suggestions to use for hands-on learning.
Duration: 7 hours
Introduction: Integrating Sustainability with the Core Business
- Why integrating sustainability with the business is needed to create shareholder value; A roadmap for integrating sustainability; Case study.
- What is strategic positioning?; How to map a company’s core strategy; Case study.
Finance: Creating Shareholder Value
- Interpreting financial statements (income statement, balance sheet); Return on Invested Capital (ROIC) as a key metric of value creation; Exercise: calculating ROIC.
Exercise: Integrating Sustainability at an Online Retailer (case study)
- Materiality assessment; Connecting the dots between sustainability initiatives, strategy, and value creation; Making an effective pitch to executives.
Exercise: Integrating Sustainability At Your Organization
- Advancing a sustainability initiative you analyzed earlier in the week; Identifying your company’s high-level strategy; Connecting the dots; Presenting your proposal.
Wrap-up and Debrief
- Solidifying insights from the week; Applying what you’ve learned back home.